How do members and friends support the church financially?
The Unitarian Church of Montreal is recognized as a registered charity. It operates as an independent financial organization and therefore depends on the financial commitments of its members and friends as its primary source of revenue.
During our annual financial campaign, we ask members and friends to make a financial commitment of support for the coming year. We have members who give 5% and more of their taxable income whether their means are modest or great. The average financial commitment is $1200 and the highest is $6500.
For newer members and friends, we ask that you consider giving an amount that reflects a serious commitment to the place you have chosen as your spiritual home – going beyond the meaningful gifts that you make to other charities.
Please know that you are always welcome at our Church. If you are out of work, have a modest income, or are facing demands on your resources, then give whatever you can. Please know that you are always welcome at our Church.
In addition to annual financial commitments from members and friends of the Church, funds are also raised by renting out the premises and hosting a variety of fundraisers such as musical concerts, an auction, etc.
Ways to either make a donation to the Church or fulfil your financial commitment:
- Pay monthly with a series of post-dated cheques to accommodate your budget or make one single payment.
- You may also deposit your cheques in the collection basket during the Sunday service.
2. Electronic banking - Recommended!
- Go to your bank website, log in and look for “pay bills”.
- At “add a payee” or “add a bill,” enter Unitarian Church of Montreal.
- Enter your account number (your envelope number) to complete the registration. You can obtain an account number from the church office. Please note that any donation from an identified donor generates an account number. You do not need to be a member to have an account number.
- You can now select the frequency and amount of your payment. The cost to the Church will average 0.25% of your donation.
- Participating financial institutions include:
- RBC - Royal Bank of Canada
- CIBC - Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
- Scotia Bank
- Caisse Desjardins
- TD Canada Trust
- BMO – Bank of Montreal
- Go to the CanadaHelps website and type in "Unitarian Church of Montreal" in the box titled, I want to give to.
- On the next page, click on Unitarian Church of Montreal and chose the type of donation you wish to make.
- CanadaHelps allows only donations using a credit card and issues tax receipts directly. There is a 3.9% service charge incurred by the Church for each transaction, so we urge you to consider the electronic banking option.
- Put cash into one of the the white envelopes marked “Unitarian Church of Montreal – Operating Fund”.
- Drop the envelope in the collection plate each Sunday.
- Please remember to complete the name and address portion of the envelope upon your first donation. Thereafter, your name is sufficient.
Annual tax receipts are issued for all contributions of $50 or more.